Coming up with a different way to celebrate a birthday every year can be a bit difficult. While cake, ice cream, and presents may appease the kiddos (for a few years anyway) and a favorite meal or night out is always nice, it can be a little boring when it becomes the “norm” or expected celebration for anyone over the age of 12.
While it’s probably never been the reason for a failed marriage, making a tradition out of under-celebrating your husband’s birthday could quite possibly lead to your own birthday being an underwhelming event. Plus, who wants to disappoint a loved one on their special day?
If you want to surprise him this year, check out this list of ways to celebrate his birthday this year.
A Unique Gift
Giving a tie or pair of socks as a gift for Dad is sort of an old joke, but of course, there are a lot of birthday gift for husband that could fall into that same sort of category. Going out of your way to give him something unique is a terrific way to surprise him. Lucky for you, we found a few ideas that you may want to consider:
- If he loves to grill, a wireless meat thermometer can be a great tool that helps bring his cooking into the 21st century.
- There are various 3D model kits available, and with so many choices, you’re bound to find one that will be special to him.
- Golf lessons with a PGA Pro or a floating golf green they can use at home for expert-level practice.
- A spa day with the works. He is certain to enjoy being pampered for hours on his birthday.
- If he has a gym membership, pay for a year of service. If he doesn’t have any, consider signing him up for one. There are a lot of different options available, and with a little bit of online sleuthing, you’re sure to find one that is perfect for him.
- Have some beautiful flowers delivered to work. It can be an unexpected surprise that he will remember for a long time to come.
Take a Trip
While you don’t necessarily have to fly off for a fun night in Colorado, a day trip or a special weekend away from the house is a great way to celebrate your husband’s birthday. Rent a secluded cabin with a hot tub and have his favorite food and drink on hand or delivered to make it all about his enjoyment. Alternatively, you can also go back to his hometown and spend a day visiting his old stomping grounds.
Make the Entire Day Special
Serve him breakfast in bed and leave little love notes for him throughout the house (good places to leave messages include the bathroom, sock drawer, and coffee pot) and even in the car. You can also send him flowers as suggested above or surprise him at work with a singing telegram.
Prepare his favorite meal, take him off for a quick picnic for lunch or dinner, or get delivery from his favorite restaurant for an intimate night at home. You can also go the opposite direction and reserve a portion of his preferred bar or restaurant and invite his friends and family for a large celebration. Celebrating your husband’s birthday doesn’t have to be an extravagant affair, but it most definitely should be something special. Even those that seem aloof and say they don’t want a big deal made about the even usually enjoy it when an effort is made to do something special for them.